making the right decision....

Sometimes it takes a little time to make the right decision. I'm talking about my work and my career. As some of you know I am a Head Teacher in a high school in Western Sydney. The school is great but I always felt out of place, I didn't belong, that I should be doing something else. What I really wanted was to stay home with these guys.


Well after 7 years at my current school and 18 years of teaching all up, I left and applied for leave without pay and stay home. Wow, I still remember the day I rang the Principal and told her I wasn't going back. It felt so good. I'm half way through my leave now and have to decide what I'm going to do. Do I extend my leave or do I relinquish my position? Do I want to lose my Head Teacher status that I worked so hard to get? So many questions going through my head the last 6 months.


The last two and a half weeks I did a teaching block. Oh man was it hard to get everyone out of the house in time, with lunch ready and hair brushed and not forget anything behind. Well I did it and we all survived. Not sure about the condition of the house, it's going to take me weeks to get it all back in order. There is washing everywhere to be folded and put away.


But the great thing was I so enjoyed teaching and having my own classes and building a repour with the kids. It was so nice just to teach. Not to worry about the other teachers, are they doing the right thing, are they following the safety precautions in the workshop, having parent complaints directed to me as the Head Teacher etc. I just taught. I just worried about myself and my classes and just taught.

When I first started teaching I was going all the way with my career. Then I had kids and thought I could have both, be a good mum and have a career. Maybe some can do it. But I have come to the conclusion that I cannot do both and I don't want to. There are too many sacrifices to make and it was my kids losing out. Maybe some people are happy with the sacrifices. but one day I don't want to look back and regret the things I missed out with my family. As I stepped up that ladder and my responsibilities increased, I had less time to devote to my kids. Time goes to fast, I can't believe I have one starting high school next year.


So today I have decided I am not returning to my Head Teacher position. That I will return to full time work when I am ready as a teacher. A lady on the phone at staffing said to me, but that will be taking a demotion, she was horrified that I would step down without being forced. I don't see it that way at all, I feel like I am getting some of my life back. And that is promotion in my eyes.

It was a hard decision to make and I feel so good now that I have made it.

Have you had to make some hard career decisions in your life or demote yourself? Would love to hear your story.

Filomena xx

Comments