Rice Bubble Slice.... School Lunch Box Recipe

My kids love to take LCM Bars to school as their snack. They take lots of healthier items and something of their choice as well. But with 4 kids a box of six doesn't quite make it for two days. So I find myself buying multiple boxes and they are not cheap either and it doesn't take long for their to be half a trolley of boxes of pre-packaged bars.


So for a while now I have been making my own. It is still a little sugary snack for them, but I know what has gone into it and it doesn't cost me no where near as much. Using the recipe below I get 16 bars.


What you will need...

75g butter

1 ½ packets Marshmallow puffs
 
6 cups rice bubbles
 
 
Here is how I do it.
 
In a slice tray line with baking paper and put aside. You will have to have this ready before you start melting the butter.
 

Measure out the six cups of rice bubbles into a large bowl.
  

In a saucepan on medium heat melt the butter. Once the butter is completely melted add the marshmallows and stir. Continue stirring until all the marshmallows have melted and creamy.




 
 
Then pour the marshmallow mixture over the rice bubbles and mix together with a wooden spoon.
 
 
Quickly place all the rice bubbles into the prepared slice tray and press down until it is all even. I like to use a piece of baking paper and the back of a spoon as it can be quite sticky. Once it has cooled down slightly use the back of a spoon to just smooth over any bumpy bits as it will not be quite as sticky.



 
 
Allow to cool on the bench top is fine or in the fridge if you are in a rush. They will last up to a week in an air tight container. Mine don't last that long.




You can do lots of different variations to this, why not try adding half a cup of 100's and 1000's to the rice bubbles when stirring or on the top when pressing down, dried fruits such as apricots, you could even use choc chips or try adding half rice bubbles and half coco pops or melted chocolate over the top.
 
How do you like yours?
 

Comments

  1. looks so yummy I will be making this for my grandson at the weekend

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment